• Saturday 20th October
    Macleod & MacCallum North Caledonian League
    Thurso 2-4 Inverness Athletic
    Sir George’s Park, Thurso

    It was a six goal thriller at The Dammies on Saturday, as Inverness Athletic got back to winning ways in the Macleod and MacCallum North Caledonian League. 

    Both sides started the game well, with Inverness creating a number of chances and playing some eye catching football, but neither side were able to find a way through the oppositions defensive line. Athletic were dealt a blow on the 20 minute mark as Martin Mainland was dubiously sent off, after making what looked like a perfectly timed last man challenge, to make what already was going to be a hard afternoons work even harder for the visitors. Athletic did not let the numerical disadvantage affect them as they continued to take the game to Thurso and the pressure would eventually tell. Martin Macdonald delivered a dangerous free kick into the Thurso box which came off the head a home defender and flow into the net to give the visitors a well earned lead. 

    Athletic doubled their lead just before the break through Ryan Macleod. The Inverness midfielder struck a stunning free kick into corner of the net, giving the home keeper no chance and putting Shane Carling’s 10 men into a well-deserved two goal half time lead. 

    Half time - Thurso 0-2 Inverness Athletic

    2018 10 20_Thurso_v_Inverness_5386_innes_mackintosh_wins_ball
    Ryan Macleod of Inverness Athletic closing down Innes Mackintosh of Thurso
    Picture Credit - James Gunn

    The start of the second half was a disaster for Inverness Athletic, as the home side came out of the blocks quicker to claw their way back into the game. A Ross Allan strike quickly followed by a goal from The Viking’s top marksman James Murray drew the game level and gave the hosts an injection of life. Any momentum Thurso looked like building was soon gone as Allan Munro saw red to even things up and make the rest of the match and intriguing contest. The fasted pace start to the second half continued with Athletic slowly growing into the game after the Munro red card and it was the visitors who would get their noses back in front. DJ Macphee found the net from close range following some excellent work from his strike partner Dean Allison. That man Macphee would double his tally for the day when he netted again ten minutes later, leaving Inverness celebrating their first victory at The Dammies and leap frogging Orkney into 4th place in the league at the same time. 

    Full time - Thurso 2-4 Inverness Athletic

    Manager Shane Carling “That was a fantastic performance and result from the lads today. We knew coming here would be tough as it’s a ground that the club has had some horror shows at in the past, so to take the 3 point home is very pleasing. The players were brilliant, I could not have asked anymore from them, everyone gave 100%”

    For Updated League click here

    Picture Credits - Graeme Webster