• Saturday 12th January
    Macleod and MacCallum North Caledonian League
    Inverness Athletic 4-2 Thurso
    Inverness Royal Academy 4G, Inverness

    Inverness Athletic made it three wins from three in the North Caledonian League today with a scrappy win against Thurso at the Inverness Royal Academy 4G.

    Neither team started the game firing on all cylinders, with both sides creating several chances but lacking that killer touch in front of goal. It took to just before the half hour mark for the deadlock to finally be broken, and it came from the visitors. Vikings winger Lewis McKechnie netted from close range after Athletic failed to clear their lines after a good save from Ryan Hunter in the home goal.

    Athletic rallied and started to grow into the game and 10 minutes later they were level. Thurso failed to deal with an Inverness corner and the ball fell to Dean Allison who spun brilliantly and fired the ball low into the corner of the net to sent the sides in level at the break.

    Half Time – Inverness Ath 1-1 Thurso

    Dean Allison was once again on the score sheet this afternoon for Athletic
    Picture Credit - Greame Webster

    A rejuvenated Athletic come out in the second half looking like a team with a point to prove, and it would not be long before they were in front for the first time in the match. A free kick fron Martin Bain was fired into the Thurso box and fell to Ryan Dow at the back post who expertly side footed the ball past the keeper and into the back of the net.

    Athletic were further in front just six minutes later. After some good work in the middle of the park the ball found its way out to Dean Allison on the right-hand side. Allison swung in a cross that was not dealt with by the Vikings defence and ball fell to Russell Macintyre who, after some excellent work, set up Clachnacuddin loanee Calum Black at the edge of the box to riffled an unstoppable shot into the corner of the net.

    Shane Carlings side were not having everything their own way and got a wake up call with 15 minutes left to play. Thurso’s Conor Cormack cut in from the left hand side and unleashed an unstoppable shot into the far corner of the goal, off the underside of the bar and into the back of the net, giving home keeper Ryan Hunter absolutely no chance. A stunning strike.

    That goal seem to breath new life into Athletic who restored their two goal advantage just 6 minutes later. After some neat football in the middle of the park from Martin Bain and Ben Hosie, the ball was passed forward to Dean Allison who in turn found Phil Macdonald who finished neatly under the Thurso keeper to all but secure the three points and move Shane Carlings side up to 2nd in the table.

    Full Time – Inverness Ath 4-2 Thurso

    Manager Shane Carling had his say after the match, “Well at times today that was not pretty to watch but we won and that is all that matters. You could see that the lads have not been playing much football over the winter break, but the work rate never dropped from us and that is why we ended up winning today’s game. We move onto next week now away to Alness in what will be another big game for the lads but one we will look forward to.”


    Alness United1-4Golspie Sutherland
    Halkirk United3-1Bunillidh Thistle
    Inverness Athletic4-2Thurso
    St Duthus 2-1Invergordon

    St Duthus12615+319
    Halkirk Utd12318-2010