• Saturday 14th September
    Jock Mackay Memorial Cup, Quarter Final
    Inverness Athletic 8-1 Nairn County U20s
    Inverness Royal Academy 4G, Inverness

    Inverness Athletic booked their places in the Jock Mackay Memorial Cup Semi Finals this afternoon with a resounding home win against a young Nairn County side.

    In blustery conditions at the Inverness Royal Academy, it would be the visitors who had the first effort at goal. The young Nairn County striker found himself a bit of space at the edge of the box and hammered the ball off the inside of Ryan Hunters goal, but thankfully the ball rolled out for a goal kick thanks to some help from the windy conditions.

    That close call seemed to wake Athletic up who then started to control the game and created a number of chances including a stunning save from the visiting keeper to deny jack Mackay his third goal of the season.

    It would not be long before the deadlock was broken, Russell Macintyre opened his account for the season when he got onto the end of a James Murray flick on to clinically finish into the bottom corner with his left foot.

    Totally against the run of play, Stuart Finnie’s side were level just 3 minutes later. A mix up in the home defence left Kieran Young with all the time in the world to slot the ball into an empty net.

    Athletic were not behind for long as just four minutes after conceding they were back in front.  Debutant James Murray slotted the ball home after a scramble in the visitors box to open his account for his new club.

    That man Murray was again on the score sheet just minutes later. Russell Macintyre was upended in the box leaving the ref no option but to point to the spot. Murray stepped up and sent the keeper the wrong way to stretch Athletic’s lead.

    James Murray completed a stunning 8-minute hat trick just 2 minutes later with a sweetly hit strike from the edge of the box to send his side in with a comfortable 4-1 half time lead.

    Half Time – Inverness Ath 4-1 Nairn County

    The second half continued much the same way that the first half had ended, with Athletic controlling the game against their younger opponents.

    With 60 minutes on the clock Ryan Stewart found himself all alone at the back post to roll the ball into an empty net after a brilliantly worked move from the home from a free kick.

    The debut goals kept coming for Athletic as next to get his name on the score sheet was substitute James Mackay who met a James Murray lay off to hit a cracking strike from the right corner of the box into the far corner of the net leaving the keeper no chance.

    For the second game running Inverness would put seven goals past their visitors. This week it was Ryan Dow with the seventh goal as he finished neatly at the back post past the despairing keeper.

    The scoring was rounded off with just a minute of the game left when Man of the Match James Murray netted his fourth of the afternoon, as he got on the end of a brilliant James Mackay cross, to round of an impressive display from Inverness Athletic and book them a semi Final tie against St Duthus on the 5th October in Inverness.

    Manger Shane Carling had his say on his sides performance this afternoon, “That was fantastic from us today. Yes, it was a young Nairn side, but we still have to win the game and they certainly gave us a scare in the first 5-10 minutes of the match. After that I felt we dominated the rest of the game. Delighted that all our new lads got game time today and all played very well and got goals too.”